The Italians do a snack called aranacini. The Greeks do a similar snack called Koupes using cracked wheat instead of rice. Mum would make this during lent when we were supposed to avoid meat and she used a cooked mushroom filling.
Ingredients:3 cups water
2 cups cracked wheat
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 cup plain flour
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Soak the wheat in water and let it sit for 2 hours.
- The mix all the ingredients together. I added oregano, salt and some curry powder to the wheat mix.
- Make the mixture into balls and fill each ball with any mince filling or a cooked mushroom filling.
- Deep fry or bake the balls until brown and serve with lemon!
- You'll get about 12 hand sized Koupes with this recipe.
As you can see, I shallow fried these and kept turned them with two forks.Because of the oil, I drained these twice before serving them.