Preheat the oven to 160C fan forced.
This cake takes almost an hour to cook.
I'm still working out how long this cake should cook for. I originally checked it at 40 minutes but it needed another 30 minutes to cook through, so my cooking time isn't reliable #justsayin.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups water
- 3 cloves
- some lemon rind
- Put all these ingredients in a small pan and cook them on the stove top for 5 minutes.
- The syrup should be running and not thickened.
- Allow the syrup to cool before spooning it on the cooked cake.
250 gm butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
2 Tablespoons of baking powder
2 cups of gluten-free bread crumbs
1 1/2 cups of walnuts - pre-crushed if that suits your blender
- Grease the tin well. I used a 25cm round tin.
- Blend the butter, eggs and sugar together in the blender first.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Blend these until the ingredients are spread through evenly.
- Pour the cake batter into the cake pan and spread is so the top is even. You can leave it looking rough because it doesn't settle.
- Bake until it's golden brown.
- Let the cake rest in the tin for 5 minutes before turning it out.
- Spoon the syrup one ladle at a time.